Sunday, January 16, 2011

Fearless

I watched the Golden Globes tonight. The first in the series of awards shows I inhale as the breath of life and inspiration that culminates in the Oscars. Usually I weep pretty much all the way through, just from an excess of emotion. These various awards recognize, by varying criteria and sometimes baffingly, excellence in my business. Whenever I watch any of them I am filled with desire. I want to be part of it again, and I know what I have to do to get there.

Ricky Gervais was the host again. He pretty much went to the edge of every line, crossed it, and risked offending almost everyone he introduced. That's the hallmark of his comedy. He says himself that nothing should be off limits for a comedian, that the joke is in the telling, the time and place, not the subject matter. He strikes me as being fearless, knowing the consequences of his actions, but going ahead regardless. Not allowing fear of criticism to stop him. Or maybe he's just arrogant...I don't know. I prefer to think of him as fearless.

One theme of the night seemed to be courage. Producers perservering and risking unknown yet-to-be stars, actors stretching themselves into difficult roles, Michael Douglas making jokes about the hard way to get a standing ovation, Temple Grandin standing in a very crowded room and hugging winner Claire Danes. I've seen that picture; a hug is a big deal to Ms. Grandin. And let's just not get started on Aron Ralston.

Chris Colfer (Glee) was evidently stunned when he won.

"Thank you...most importantly to all the amazing kids who watch our show, the kids that our show celebrates, who are constantly told "no" by the people and the environments, by the bullies at school, that they can't be who they are or have what they want because of who they are...well, screw that kids!"

Thanks Chris - it was the best speech of the night for my money.

Bravery is not the absence of fear, but going ahead despite fear. Perhaps being fearless is the belief that the task, one's own action, is more important than the risk of a bad result.


People around me, unschoolers and friends, are talking about finding the word that represents their aspiration for this year. I've been mulling it around and now two weeks in to the new year, I think I have finally come up with the word and the idea that I intend to claim as my personal quest for this year - the year I turn 50 by the way - and that is Fearless.


Yes. This year I will become brave so that I too can claim the word - Fearless.

No comments: